RSS

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST? CINNAMON ROLLS

Other than God, I love my family including my extended family more than anything. Just one of the many many things I love about them is that we have (had) so many phenomenal cooks, my great-grandmother Mama Dot was no exception. She was in my opinion the best home cook I've ever encountered making up her own recipes in the Great Depression that have filtered down to her great-great grandchildren and I want to continue her legacy. 

One of my favorite recipes of hers is cinnamon rolls which my grandmother and my mom have always made us for breakfast or dessert at times. Mom just made these for me up at the cabin last week. God bless her! Today I'm making them for you...oh, I mean us.

FYI, this recipe is not my mother's or great-grandmother's.
I've changed it. No egg, salted butter, more vanilla, being risen 2x, etc.



MAMA DOT'S CINNAMON ROLLS

1 3/4 C lukewarm water
2 1/2 t or 1 packet yeast
1/2 C sugar or honey
1 t sea salt
1/3 C oil
4 C flour plus more
1/4 C melted salted butter
cinnamon
sugar
3-4 T milk
2 C powdered sugar
2 T melted unsalted butter
1/2 t vanilla

Pour water into bowl and sprinkle yeast on top.


Add sugar, salt & oil.


Stir then add flour.



Set aside and let rise for 1 hour.
Punch down, then rise again for another hour.

Roll out on a lightly floured surface...super clean countertops work great!



Spread 1/4 C melted butter all over. 




Sprinkle cinnamon and drown with sugar.



Roll it up tightly.


Cut into 2 - 3 inch pieces.

Arrange in a greased dish. 


Let rise for 20 plus minutes, until doubled. 


Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-30 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out dry.

Meanwhile, to prepare icing: mix 2 T butter with powdered sugar and add 1 T of milk at a time until desired consistency. Add a few drops of vanilla and mix well.

Drizzle icing all over the rolls within 5 minutes of coming out of the oven.


0 comments:

Post a Comment