RSS

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? ON TOP OF SPAGHETTI ALL COVERED WITH CHEESE. I ATE ALL MY MEATBALLS BEFORE SOMEONE SNEEZED! with Homemade Tomato Sauce


We were blessed to have some new friends (the Jackson's) who we adore over for lunch after worship yesterday. Although I didn't sing this in front of them because I knew I'd embarrass myself, know that I was singing it in my head. I think I'll start a new tradition with my kid. Whenever I make spaghetti & meatballs, I think I'll sing the childhood song I grew up singing. Yes, I'm "cheesy."



On top of spaghetti all covered with cheese.
I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed.


It rolled off the table, it rolled on the floor,
And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door.


It rolled in the garden and under a bush,
And then my poor meatball was nothing but mush.


The mush was as tasty as tasty could be,
And early next summer it grew to a tree.


The tree was all covered with beautiful moss.
It grew great big meatballs and tomato sauce.


So if you eat spaghetti all covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatball and don't ever sneeze.
                                                            -  Tom Glazer       


MEATBALLS & Tomato Sauce
servings: 12


  • 2 lbs lean ground beef
  • 2 C bread crumbs
  • 2 T dried parsley
  • 2 T Parmesan
  • 1/2 t  pepper
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 2 egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 C chopped onion
  • 10 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 C olive oil
  • 4 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes
  • 1 T and 1 t salt
  • 2 t white sugar
  • 2 bay leaf
  • 2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 t dried basil
  • 1 t pepper


In a large bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, pepper, garlic powder and beaten eggs. Mix well and form into approx 24 or more balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes. At this point either you can leave it as it is or puree it for a smoother texture. I used a handheld blender. Stir in tomato paste, basil, pepper, then add meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more. Serve hot over pasta.



0 comments:

Post a Comment