RSS

What's for dinner? BAKE YOUR OWN PASTA

BAKE YOUR OWN PASTA

PICK A PASTA:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook 1 lb of pasta.
(I chose gluten free brown rice elbow pasta.)

MAKE THE SAUCE:
Heat 2 T olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 4 sliced garlic cloves and pinch of red pepper flakes; cook until golden. Crush 28 oz can and 15 oz can of tomatoes into skillet. Rinse out eat can with 1/2 C water and add water to skillet. Add 4 large basil sprigs; Simmer, uncovered until sauce is thickened for about 15 min. Discard basil: season with salt.
(OR "cheat" & pour a jar of pasta sauce into a large bowl like I did.)

CHOOSE YOUR ADD INS:
Prepare 3 C cooked meat and/or vegetables in any combo
Suggestions: Italian sausage, meatballs, pepperoni, chicken, hard boiled eggs, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant, fennel, spinach, olives, etc.
(I used pepperoni, canned artichokes & zucchini.)

FLAVOR:
Stir in. Suggestions: 1 C basil or parsley, 1 C ricotta, 3/4 lb pancetta
(I used ricotta.)

SAY CHEESE:
Prepare 2-3 C melting cheese & 1 C grating cheese.
Suggestions melting cheese: Mozzarella, provolone, Italian fontina, asiago
Suggested grating cheese: Parmesan, Pecorino, Ricotta salata
(I used 2 C shredded Italian blend.)

CASSEROLE:
Toss everything in a large bowl (leave out the melting cheese, if desired to sprinkle on top). Spread into a greased baking dish. Bake uncovered until brown for 15-25 min. Let rest 15 min before serving.
(I placed fresh basil leaves on top of mine.)



Thanks to my husband for taking these photos so I could go exercise. REALLY proud of him!!

1 comments:

Stephanie Pafford said...

Do I have to eat the can when I rinse it out? Just asking...
Sounds yummy (minus the can)

Post a Comment