RSS

WATER BATH CANNING jams, jelly & preserves: Strawberry Rhubarb Jam & Blackberry Jelly

I've always wanted to learn how to can my own jams, jelly & preserves, so I searched the Internet and did it.

I went to my local grocery store and bought new jars with lids & seals along with pectin. Of course I decided to do this as I was going down that isle. Didn't even have a recipe.

I got home to search my cookbooks for recipes and all called for fresh fruit. All I had as bananas and pears, so I was praying frozen fruit would work too. And it did. I couldn't find a recipe of what I had ingredients for so I made up my own.

Water Bath Canning
1. Sterilize jars in boiling water for 10 minutes in a stock pot. Lids have to be sterilized in boiling water for at least 2-3 minutes. You have to use a new lid every time you jar something new. Rings can be reused. Jars can be reused.
2. Ladle cooked fruit in jars. Or pack them with vegetables or fruit and ladle hot liquid over. Using a knife or skewer, run it inside and around the jar removing air bubbles. With a damp paper towel, wipe rim of jar clean. Immediately seal with sterilized lids. Screwing it on with a ring, fingertip tight.
3. As you've allowed your stock pot with water to continue to boil, add the newly sealed jars to the boiling water bath.
4. Cover with more boiling water until at least 1 inch of boiling water covers the top.
5.  Fruit Times (in minutes)     pts    qts
Apples                                   20     25
Applesauce                            25      25
Apricots                                 20      25
berries (except strawberries)   15      20
cherries                                 20      20
cranberries                             10      10
currants                                  20      20
figs                                         90      90
juices                                      10      10
grapefruit                                20      20
grapes                                    20      20
nectarines                               20      25
peaches                                  20      25
pears                                      25      30
pickles                                    20       20
pineapple                                30       30
plums                                     20       25
rhubarb                                  10        10
strawberries                           15        15
tomatoes                                35        45
Add approx 2 minutes for every 1000 feet you are above sea level.
For example, we live at 6217 feet above sea level. So I add 12-13 minutes more to my time.
6. Use tongs to take each jar out of the bath and set it directly on a wooden cutting board or a clean towel.
7. Let them be undisturbed for 12-24 hours to set. You should be able to hear the popping sound of them sealing within an hour or two. Check the seal. If it's one or more are not sealed, something went wrong. You can put the unsealed in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, otherwise throw it out. The sealed ones, you can put them in the pantry.

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
makes approx 6 cups
2 C frozen strawberries
2 C frozen rhubarb
2 C sugar
1/2 C water
3 oz dry pectin

In a large saucepan, mix rhubarb, strawberries, sugar & water over medium heat and bring to boil. Boil 20 - 25 min or until fruit is soft. Stir in pectin and boil 5 more min. Then ladle hot mixture into jars & follow canning instructions above.




BLACKBERRY JAM
approx 4 Cups
2 C frozen blackberries
2 C sugar
1/2 C water
3 oz dry pectin

In a large saucepan, mix blackberries, sugar & water over medium heat and bring to boil. Boil 20 - 25 min or until fruit is soft & falling apart. Stir in pectin and boil 5 more min. Then ladle hot mixture into jars & follow canning instructions above.

 


2 comments:

Stephanie Pafford said...

2 Things: When I make the apricot pineapple jam, I don't add pectin, just boil it down for about 30 minutes. So, you may not have to always add pectin, in case you don't have it.
Also, Grandma Vi (who is the jelly queen) doesn't give hers a water bath. She just puts on the flats and screws the lid on until finger tight and then lets sit and cool. As they temp goes down, you hear the flats "pop" and know they are sealed. It works just fine! Saves you a step. Anyway, just thought I'd share what I have learned from Grandma :)

Kimber said...

Hey Steph! Yeah, I used the water bath method and your grandmother uses the cold pack method. Does she also turn them upside down on the counter for 5 min? I think I may make blueberry syrup & try the cold pack method. Grandma Vi rocks!

Post a Comment