- Whitens my teeth.
- Has actually made some of my cavities disappear according to my dentist when I went in to get some filled!
- Strengthen my jaw so much that I no longer have any horrible symptoms of TMJ.
- Clears my sinuses.
- No more bad breath.
- No more tonsil stones.
- Strengthens my enamel and gums. My receding gum lines have stopped!
Tooth brushing is relatively new. Did you know that it's only been around for less than 100 years?! Crazy, right? If you do a historical search for oil pulling, you'll find that traditionally it was a Native American and Ayurveda (South Asia/India) holistic practice.
Most dentists I've encountered and hear about do not like this practice as it generally can take money away from them. You do the practice of oil pulling, it heals your teeth and gums and you don't see the dentist except for your bi-annual check ups. Yeah, not a good combo for dentists. But for you, it can be a major money and headache saver.
You can research all the mechanical actions and medical jargon of how and why but I like to just boil it down.
- Pick an oil. My favorite is coconut oil. Choices: Coconut, Sesame, Olive.
- Choose the amount. 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon is perfect. I prefer around 1/2 tablespoon.
- Optional: Add 1-2 drops of essential oil. (Buy pure EOs at link in the right column of this page.)
- Clove essential oil - heals wounds, relieves toothaches, banishes bad breath, pain reliever, boosts immune system, reduces gum disease, anti-inflammatory, etc.
- Cinnamon essential oil - anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, astringent, anti-clotting, decreases inflammation, etc.
- Orange essential oil - anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, anti-septic, kills bacteria, fights infection, etc.
- Lemon essential oil - astringent, detoxifying, antiseptic, disinfectant, anti-fungal, banishes bad breath, thirst quencher, kills bacteria, etc.
- Lime essential oil - immune booster, fights colds/flu/sinusitis/sore throat, kills bacteria, promotes oral health, etc.
- Peppermint essential oil - anti-microbial, freshens breath, promotes healthy sinuses, allergy reducer, etc.
- Basil essential oil - anti-bacterial, fights infection, anti-inflammatory, anti-virus, anti-fungal, fights colds/flu, etc.
- Black Pepper essential oil - anti-bacterial, anti-viral, etc.
- Cilantro/Coriander essential oil - anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, etc.
- Thyme essential oil - anti-septic, anti-bacterial, expectorant, kills infection, treats respiratory conditions, cures bad breath, promotes teeth from decay, etc.
- Oregano essential oil - relieves colds/flu/sinuses, kills parasites, eases infections, heals cold sores, etc.
- Do this while you take a shower, check your email, play a video game, prep for the day, read a book or study. It will fly by when you're preoccupied.